Cited 1 time in
Cited 1 time in
Hierarchical Micro/Nano-Porous Acupuncture Needles Offering Enhanced Therapeutic Properties
- Hierarchical Micro/Nano-Porous Acupuncture Needles Offering Enhanced Therapeutic Properties
- In, SL[In, Su-Il]; Gwak, YS[Gwak, Young S.]; Kim, HR[Kim, Hye Rim]; Razzaq, A[Razzaq, Abdul]; Lee, KS[Lee, Kyeong-Seok]; Kim, HY[Kim, Hee Young]; Chang, S[Chang, SuChan]; Lee, BH[Lee, Bong Hyo]; Grimes, CA[Grimes, Craig A.]; Yang, CH[Yang, Chae Ha]
- DGIST Authors
- In, SL[In, Su-Il]; Kim, HR[Kim, Hye Rim]; Razzaq, A[Razzaq, Abdul]; Lee, KS[Lee, Kyeong-Seok]
- Issue Date
- Scientific Reports, 6
- Article Type
- Acupuncture as a therapeutic intervention has been widely used for treatment of many pathophysiological disorders. For achieving improved therapeutic effects, relatively thick acupuncture needles have been frequently used in clinical practice with, in turn, enhanced stimulation intensity. However due to the discomforting nature of the larger-diameter acupuncture needles there is considerable interest in developing advanced acupuncture therapeutical techniques that provide more comfort with improved efficacy. So motivated, we have developed a new class of acupuncture needles, porous acupuncture needles (PANs) with hierarchical micro/nano-scale conical pores upon the surface, fabricated via a simple and well known electrochemical process, with surface area approximately 20 times greater than conventional acupuncture needles. The performance of these high-surface-area PANs is evaluated by monitoring the electrophysiological and behavioral responses from the in vivo stimulation of Shenmen (HT7) points in Wistar rats, showing PANs to be more effective in controlling electrophysiological and behavioral responses than conventional acupuncture needles. Comparative analysis of cocaine induced locomotor activity using PANs and thick acupuncture needles shows enhanced performance of PANs with significantly less pain sensation. Our work offers a unique pathway for achieving a comfortable and improved acupuncture therapeutic effect. © The Author(s) 2016.
- Nature Publishing Group
- Related Researcher
In, Su Il
Green and Renewable Energy for Endless Nature(GREEN) Lab
CO2 conversion to hydrocarbon fuels; Water splitting for hydrogen generation; Quantum dot devices; Dye sensitized solar cells; Environmental remediation; Synthesis of functional nanomaterials; CO2 연료전환; 수소생산을 위한 광전기화학적 물분해; 양자점 태양전지; 염료감응 태양전지; 공해물질 저감연구; 기능성 나노소재 개발
There are no files associated with this item.
- Energy Science and EngineeringGreen and Renewable Energy for Endless Nature(GREEN) Lab1. Journal Articles
Information and Communication EngineeringInfoLab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.