Cited 4 time in
Cited 6 time in
Inhibition of elongin C promotes longevity and protein homeostasis via HIF-1 in C. elegans
- Inhibition of elongin C promotes longevity and protein homeostasis via HIF-1 in C. elegans
- Hwang, W[Hwang, Wooseon]; Artan, M[Artan, Murat]; Seo, M[Seo, Mihwa]; Lee, D[Lee, Dongyeop]; Nam, HG[Nam, Hong Gil]; Lee, SJV[Lee, Seung-Jae V.]
- DGIST Authors
- Nam, HG[Nam, Hong Gil]
- Issue Date
- Aging Cell, 14(6), 995-1002
- Article Type
- Aging; Amino Acid Sequence; C. Elegans; Caenorhabditis Elegans; Controlled Study; Elc-1; Elongin C; Genetic Association; Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1; Lifespan; Longevity; Mitochondrial Gene; Non-Human; Priority Journal; Protein Degradation; Protein Homeostasis; Protein Synthesis Inhibition; Regulatory Mechanism; RNA Interference; Transcription Elongation Factor; Upregulation
- The transcription factor hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) is crucial for responses to low oxygen and promotes longevity in Caenorhabditis elegans. We previously performed a genomewide RNA interference screen and identified many genes that act as potential negative regulators of HIF-1. Here, we functionally characterized these genes and found several novel genes that affected lifespan. The worm ortholog of elongin C, elc-1, encodes a subunit of E3 ligase and transcription elongation factor. We found that knockdown of elc-1 prolonged lifespan and delayed paralysis caused by impaired protein homeostasis. We further showed that elc-1 RNA interference increased lifespan and protein homeostasis by upregulating HIF-1. The roles of elongin C and HIF-1 are well conserved in eukaryotes. Thus, our study may provide insights into the aging regulatory pathway consisting of elongin C and HIF-1 in complex metazoans. © 2015 The Anatomical Society and John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Wiley Blackwell
- Related Researcher
Nam, Hong Gil
CBRG(Complex Biology Research Group)
There are no files associated with this item.
- New BiologyETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.