Cited 12 time in
Cited 17 time in
Investigation of nonionic diazo dye-doped polymer dispersed liquid crystal film
- Investigation of nonionic diazo dye-doped polymer dispersed liquid crystal film
- Ahmad, F[Ahmad, Farzana]; Jamil, M[Jamil, Muhammad]; Jeon, YJ[Jeon, Young Jae]; Woo, LJ[Woo, Lee Jin]; Jung, JE[Jung, Jae Eun]; Jang, JE[Jang, Jae Eun]
- DGIST Authors
- Jung, JE[Jung, Jae Eun]; Jang, JE[Jang, Jae Eun]
- Issue Date
- Bulletin of Materials Science, 35(2), 221-231
- Article Type
- Contrast Ratio; Dichroic Dye; Dichroic Dyes; Droplet Morphology; Drops; Electric Fields; Liquid Crystal Displays; Liquid Crystals; Morphology; Optical Properties; Order Parameter; Phase Separation; Plastic Films; Polymer-Induced Phase Separation (PIPS); Polymer Dispersed Liquid Crystals (PDLC); Polymers
- Sudan black B (SBB) was used to investigate as the nonionic diazo dye-doped in polymer dispersed liquid crystal (PDLC) display, by polymerization-induced phase separation (PIPS) method. The maximum absorbance, contrast ratio, dichroic ratio and the order parameter of nonionic diazo dye in nemetic host (TL203) were investigated using UV-Vis polarized spectroscopy. The orientation of the dye molecules was controlled by electric field, which enabled the contrast ratio of the dye to be obtained by electrically switching. The change occurring on droplet morphologies and electro-optical properties of PDLC film with the change in contents of Sudan black dye and liquid crystals (LC) contents was investigated. We found an increase in LC droplet sizes with the increase of diazo dye and LC contents. Moreover the addition of small amount of nonionic diazo dye reduced the threshold voltage (Vth), increased off-state transmittance, enhanced the contrast ratio and decreased the response time of dye-doped PDLC. Additionally the change in transition temperature of LC and changes in LC droplet morphologies with the addition of dye were also observed. Such changes were observed with the images taken by polarized optical microscope (POM). The detail discussions on such behaviours were also made. © Indian Academy of Sciences.
- Indian Academy of Sciences
- Related Researcher
Jang, Jae Eun
Advanced Electronic Devices Research Group(AEDRG)
There are no files associated with this item.
- Information and Communication EngineeringETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.