Cited 4 time in
Cited 4 time in
An experimental and simulation study of novel channel designs for open-cathode high-temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells
- An experimental and simulation study of novel channel designs for open-cathode high-temperature polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells
- Thomas, S[Thomas, Sobi]; Bates, A[Bates, Alex]; Park, S[Park, Sam]; Sahu, AK[Sahu, A. K.]; Lee, SC[Lee, Sang C.]; Son, BR[Son, Byung Rak]; Kim, JG[Kim, Joo Gon]; Lee, DH[Lee, Dong-Ha]
- DGIST Authors
- Lee, SC[Lee, Sang C.]; Son, BR[Son, Byung Rak]; Kim, JG[Kim, Joo Gon]; Lee, DH[Lee, Dong-Ha]
- Issue Date
- Applied Energy, 165, 765-776
- Article Type
- BOP; Cathodes; Coolants; Design; Drops; Electrodes; Electrolytes; Fuel Cells; High-Temperature PEMFC; High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membranes; Open Cathode; Parallel Flow; Parasitic Loss; Parasitic Losses; Polyelectrolytes; Power Densities; Power Density; Pressure Drop; Proton-Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells (PEMFC); Serpentine; Silicate Minerals; Simulation Approach; Simulation Studies; Solid Electrolytes; Temperature; Thermal Gradients; Uniform Flow Distributions
- A minimum balance of plant (BOP) is desired for an open-cathode high temperature polymer electrolyte membrane (HTPEM) fuel cell to ensure low parasitic losses and a compact design. The advantage of an open-cathode system is the elimination of the coolant plate and incorporation of a blower for oxidant and coolant supply, which reduces the overall size of the stack, power losses, and results in a lower system volume. In the present study, we present unique designs for an open-cathode system which offers uniform temperature distribution with a minimum temperature gradient and a uniform flow distribution through each cell. Design studies were carried out to increase power density. An experimental and simulation approach was carried out to design the novel open-cathode system. Two unique parallel serpentine flow designs were developed to yield a low pressure drop and uniform flow distribution, one without pins and another with pins. A five-cell stack was fabricated in the lab based on the new design. Performance and flow distribution studies revealed better performance, uniform flow distribution, and a reduced temperature gradient across the stack; improving overall system efficiency. © 2015 Elsevier Ltd.
- ELSEVIER SCI LTD
There are no files associated with this item.
- Convergence Research Center for Future Automotive Technology1. Journal Articles
Convergence Research Center for Wellness1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.