Cited 0 time in
Cited 1 time in
Optimization of a Cell Counting Algorithm for Mobile Point-of-Care Testing Platforms
- Optimization of a Cell Counting Algorithm for Mobile Point-of-Care Testing Platforms
- Ahn, DaeHan; Kim, Nam Sung; Moon, SangJun; Park, Tae Joon; Son, Sang Hyuk
- DGIST Authors
- Moon, SangJun; Park, Tae Joon; Son, Sang Hyuk
- Issue Date
- Sensors, 14(8), 15244-15261
- Article Type
- Algorithms; Attractive Solutions; Cell Counting; Energy Utilization; Normalized Cross-Correlation (NCC); Optimization Techniques; Optimized Algorithms; Original Algorithms; Point-of-Care Testing; Smartphones; Software Testing; Testing Platforms
- In a point-of-care (POC) setting, it is critically important to reliably count the number of specific cells in a blood sample. Software-based cell counting, which is far faster than manual counting, while much cheaper than hardware-based counting, has emerged as an attractive solution potentially applicable to mobile POC testing. However, the existing software-based algorithm based on the normalized cross-correlation (NCC) method is too time- and, thus, energy-consuming to be deployed for battery-powered mobile POC testing platforms. In this paper, we identify inefficiencies in the NCC-based algorithm and propose two synergistic optimization techniques that can considerably reduce the runtime and, thus, energy consumption of the original algorithm with negligible impact on counting accuracy. We demonstrate that an Android™ smart phone running the optimized algorithm consumes 11:5× less runtime than the original algorithm. © 2014 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland.
- MDPI AG
- Related Researcher
Son, Sang Hyuk
RTCPS(Real-Time Cyber-Physical Systems) Lab
Real-time system; Wireless sensor network; Cyber-physical system; Data and event service; Information security; 실시간 임베디드 시스템
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Robotics EngineeringCybernetics Laboratory1. Journal Articles
ETC1. Journal Articles
Department of Information and Communication EngineeringRTCPS(Real-Time Cyber-Physical Systems) Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.