Cited 0 time in
Cited 6 time in
Mild hypothermia attenuates intercellular adhesion molecule-1 induction via activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1/2 in a focal cerebral ischemia model
- Mild hypothermia attenuates intercellular adhesion molecule-1 induction via activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1/2 in a focal cerebral ischemia model
- Han, H.S.[Han, Hyung Soo]; Choi, J.S.[ Choi, Jung Sook]; Park, J.[ Park, Jaechan]; Suk, K.[ Suk, Kyoungho]; Moon, C.[Moon, Cheil]; Park, Y.-K.[Park, Yong-Ki]
- DGIST Authors
- Moon, C.[Moon, Cheil]
- Issue Date
- Stroke Research and Treatment
- Article Type
- Animal Cell; Animal Experiment; Animal Model; Brain Blood Vessel; Brain Ischemia; Controlled Study; Enzyme Activation; Induced Hypothermia; Intercellular Adhesion Molecule-1; Male; Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 1; Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase 3; Mouse; Non-Human; Priority Journal; Protein Induction; Protein Phosphorylation; Rat; STAT3 Protein; Therapy Effect; Vascular Endothelium
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in cerebral vascular endothelium induced by ischemic insult triggers leukocyte infiltration and inflammatory reaction. We investigated the mechanism of hypothermic suppression of ICAM-1 in a model of focal cerebral ischemia. Rats underwent 2 hours of middle cerebral artery occlusion and were kept at 37()C or 33()C during occlusion and rewarmed to normal temperature immediately after reperfusion. Under hypothermic condition, robust activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase-1/2 (ERK1/2) was observed in vascular endothelium of ischemic brain. Hypothermic suppression of ICAM-1 was reversed by ERK1/2 inhibition. Phosphorylation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3) in ischemic vessel was attenuated by hypothermia. STAT3 inhibitor suppressed ICAM-1 production induced by stroke. ERK1/2 inhibition enhanced phosphorylation and DNA binding activity of STAT3 in hypothermic condition. In this study, we demonstrated that hypothermic suppression of ICAM-1 induction is mediated by enhanced ERK1/2 activation and subsequent attenuation of STAT3 action. Copyright ? 2011 Jung Sook Choi et al.
- Hindawi Publishing Corporation
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Brain and Cognitive SciencesETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.