Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Optical biochemical sensor based on half-circled microdisk laser diode
- Optical biochemical sensor based on half-circled microdisk laser diode
- Kim, Hong-Seung; Park, Jung-Min; Ryu, Jin Hyeok; Kim, Sung-Bok; Kim, Chil Min; Choi, Young-Wan; Oh, Kwang-Ryong
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, Hong-Seung; Ryu, Jin Hyeok; Kim, Chil Min
- Issue Date
- Optics Express, 25(21), 24939-24945
- Article Type
- Esters; Gas Detectors; Q Factor Measurement; Bio-Chemical Sensor; Dimethyl Methylphosphonate; Integrated Photonics; Microdisk Laser; Optical Couplings; Reproducibilities; Side Mode Suppression Ratios; Wavelength Shift; Lasers
- In this study, a half-circled cavity based microdisk laser diode is proposed and demonstrated experimentally for an integrated photonic biochemical sensor. Conventional microdisk sensors have limitations in optical coupling and reproducibility. In order to overcome these drawbacks, we design a novel half-circled micro disk laser (HC-MDL) which is easy to manufacture and has optical output directionality. The Q-factor of the fabricated HC-MDL was measured as 7.72 × 106 using the self-heterodyne method and the side mode suppression ratio was measured as 23 dB. Moreover, gas sensing experiments were performed using the HC-MDL sensor. A wavelength shift response of 14.21 pm was obtained for 100 ppb dimethyl methylphosphonate (DMMP) gas and that of 14.70 pm was obtained for 1 ppm ethanol gas. These results indicate the possibility of highly sensitive gas detection at ppb levels using HC-MDL. This attractive feature of the HC-MDL sensor is believed to be very useful for a wide variety of optical biochemical sensor applications. © 2017 Optical Society of America.
- OSA - The Optical Society
- Related Researcher
Kim, Chil Min
Micro Laser Laboratory
Laser; Nonlinear Dynamics; Quantum Chaos; Microcavity Laser
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Emerging Materials ScienceMicro Laser Laboratory1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.