Cited 0 time in
Cited 3 time in
Spin-orbit torque-driven skyrmion dynamics revealed by time-resolved X-ray microscopy
- Spin-orbit torque-driven skyrmion dynamics revealed by time-resolved X-ray microscopy
- Woo, Seonghoon; Song, Kyung Mee; Han, Hee-Sung; Jung, Min-Seung; Im, Mi-Young; Lee, Ki-Suk; Song, Kun Soo; Fischer, Peter; Hong, Jung-Il; Choi, Jun Woo; Min, Byoung-Chul; Koo, Hyun Cheol; Chang, Joonyeon
- DGIST Authors
- Hong, Jung-Il
- Issue Date
- Nature Communications, 8
- Article Type
- Bubbles; Chiral Magnet; Domain Walls; Lattice; Layer Excitation; Magnetic Skyrmions; Microscopy; Radiography; Room Temperature; Torque; Weak Ferromagnetism
- Magnetic skyrmions are topologically protected spin textures with attractive properties suitable for high-density and low-power spintronic device applications. Much effort has been dedicated to understanding the dynamical behaviours of the magnetic skyrmions. However, experimental observation of the ultrafast dynamics of this chiral magnetic texture in real space, which is the hallmark of its quasiparticle nature, has so far remained elusive. Here, we report nanosecond-dynamics of a 100nm-diameter magnetic skyrmion during a current pulse application, using a time-resolved pump-probe soft X-ray imaging technique. We demonstrate that distinct dynamic excitation states of magnetic skyrmions, triggered by current-induced spin-orbit torques, can be reliably tuned by changing the magnitude of spin-orbit torques. Our findings show that the dynamics of magnetic skyrmions can be controlled by the spin-orbit torque on the nanosecond time scale, which points to exciting opportunities for ultrafast and novel skyrmionic applications in the future. © 2017 The Author(s).
- Nature Publishing Group
- Related Researcher
Hong, Jung Il
Quantum Electric & Magnetic Materials Laboratory
There are no files associated with this item.
- Emerging Materials ScienceQuantum Electric & Magnetic Materials Laboratory1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.