Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Rapid removal of radioactive cesium by polyacrylonitrile nanofibers containing Prussian blue
- Rapid removal of radioactive cesium by polyacrylonitrile nanofibers containing Prussian blue
- Kim, Hyun Cheol; Kim, Min Sun; Lee, Wan No; Kim, Soon Hyun
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, Soon Hyun
- Issue Date
- Journal of Hazardous Materials, 347, 106-113
- Article Type
- Cesium; Efficiency; Electrospinning; Nanofibers; Nanoparticles; Nuclear fuels; Nuclear power plants; Radioactivity; Synthesis (chemical); Cesium 137; Efficient technology; Fukushima dai-ichi nuclear power plants; Mesoporous structures; Polyacrylonitrile nanofibers; Prussian blue; Radioactive wastewater; Removal efficiencies; Polyacrylonitriles; cesium; cesium ion; ferric ferrocyanide; nanofiber; polyacrylonitrile; adsorption; analytical method; cesium; cesium isotope; chemical compound; dye; environmental technology; nanoparticle; nanotechnology; nuclear accident; nuclear power plant; pollutant removal; polymer; radioactive pollution; radioactivity; radionuclide; wastewater treatment; Article; crystal structure; electrospinning; Fukushima nuclear accident; heavy metal removal; physical chemistry; radioactivity; scintillation counting; static electricity; surface area; surface property; synthesis; wettability; Fukushima [Tohoku]; Honshu; Japan; Tohoku
- After the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant disaster in Japan in 2011, the demand drastically increased for efficient technology for the removal of radioactive cesium. Prussian blue (PB) nanoparticles have shown excellent adsorption ability toward Cs. In this study, we synthesized PB nanoparticles incorporated polyacrylonitrile nanofiber (PB/PAN). PB/PAN has the porous structure of nanofibers, with diameters of several hundred nanometers. PB nanoparticles can be incorporated successfully into the PAN matrix without any change to their intrinsic crystallinity and structure. The mesoporous structure of PB/PAN and the incorporation of PB nanoparticles led to an increase in the Brunauer–Emmett–Teller surface area and pore volume. In addition, PB/PAN exhibited excellent wettability with water. With simple filtering for the removal of radioactive cesium, PB/PAN showed high removal efficiency (87 ± 3%) within 10 s for 10 mL of 137Cs solution (1000 Bq L−1). In addition, the 137Cs removal by PB/PAN showed high removal efficiency (70 ± 2%, after 1 h), even in the actual seawater medium (1000 Bq L−1 of 137Cs). Therefore, PB-incorporated PAN nanofibers can be considered useful in the practical application of Cs removal from radioactive wastewater. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Smart Textile Convergence Research Group1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.