Cited 0 time in
Cited 1 time in
KinSpace: Passive obstacle detection via Kinect
- KinSpace: Passive obstacle detection via Kinect
- Greenwood, C.; Nirjon, S.; Stankovic, J.; Yoon, Hee Jung; Ra, Ho-Kyeong; Son, Sang; Park, Taejoon
- DGIST Authors
- Yoon, Hee Jung; Ra, Ho-Kyeong; Son, Sang; Park, Taejoon
- Issue Date
- 11th European Conference on Wireless Sensor Networks, EWSN 2014, 8354 LNCS, 182-197
- Article Type
- Conference Paper
- Falls are a significant problem for the elderly living independently in the home. Many falls occur due to household objects left in open spaces. We present KinSpace, a passive obstacle detection system for the home. KinSpace employs the use of a Kinect sensor to learn the open space of an environment through observation of resident walking patterns. It then monitors the open space for obstacles that are potential tripping hazards and notifies the residents accordingly. KinSpace uses real-time depth data and human-in-the-loop feedback to adjust its understanding of the open space of an environment. We present a 5,000-frame deployment dataset spanning multiple homes and classes of objects. We present results showing the effectiveness of our underlying technical solutions in identifying open spaces and obstacles. The results for both lab testing and a deployment in an actual home show roughly 80% accuracy for both open space detection and obstacle detection even in the presence of many real-world issues. Consequently, this new technology shows great potential to reduce the risk of falls in the home due to environmental hazards. © 2014 Springer International Publishing.
- Related Researcher
Son, Sang Hyuk
RTCPS(Real-Time Cyber-Physical Systems) Lab
Real-time system; Wireless sensor network; Cyber-physical system; Data and event service; Information security; 실시간 임베디드 시스템
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Information and Communication EngineeringRTCPS(Real-Time Cyber-Physical Systems) Lab2. Conference Papers
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.