Cited 3 time in
Cited 4 time in
Influence of mechanical coupling by SiO2 membrane on the frequency selectivity of microfabricated beam arrays for artificial basilar membranes
- Influence of mechanical coupling by SiO2 membrane on the frequency selectivity of microfabricated beam arrays for artificial basilar membranes
- Song, WJ[Song, Won Joon]; Jang, J[Jang, Jongmoon]; Kim, S[Kim, Sangwon]; Choi, H[Choi, Hongsoo]
- DGIST Authors
- Jang, J[Jang, Jongmoon]; Kim, S[Kim, Sangwon]; Choi, H[Choi, Hongsoo]
- Issue Date
- Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 29(3), 963-971
- Article Type
- Acoustic Transducers; Acoustics; Artificial Basilar Membrane; Bandpass Filters; Basilar Membranes; Frequency Selectivity; Lumped Parametric Model; Mechanical Coupling; Membranes; MEMS; Microfabrication; Noise Abatement; Resonance Frequencies; Resonator Array; Resonator Arrays; Resonators; Scanning Laser-Doppler Vibrometer; Tonotopy
- Two types of microfabricated acoustic transducers—the resonator array of isolated beams (RAIB) and the resonator array of coupled beams (RACB)—were built using MEMS technology. The frequency selectivity of the two types of transducers was qualitatively compared using the transfer functions measured with a scanning laser Doppler vibrometer (SLDV). Each RAIB beam operated as a band-pass filter in the proximity to the corresponding resonance frequency, thereby showing the frequency-selective feature of the basilar membrane (BM). However, the frequency selectivity of RACB was poor because the SiO2 membrane, which mechanically coupled the neighboring beams, suppressed the independent response of each beam. The influence of the mechanical coupling of the SiO2 membrane was simulated using lumped parametric models. Simulation results showed that the coupling stiffness of the SiO2 membrane may significantly undermine the frequency selectivity of the resonator array. The comparison of the frequency-selective performance revealed that RAIB is a better option than RACB for mimicking the tonotopy of BM. © 2015, The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Related Researcher
Choi, Hong Soo
Bio-Micro Robotics Lab
Micro/Nano robot; Neural prostheses; MEMS; BMI; MEMS/NEMS; BioMEMS; MEMS 초음파 트랜스듀스; 인공와우
There are no files associated with this item.
- Robotics EngineeringETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.