Cited 2 time in
Cited 1 time in
Fabrication of syndiotactic polystyrene nanocomposites with exfoliated clay and their properties
- Fabrication of syndiotactic polystyrene nanocomposites with exfoliated clay and their properties
- Kim, MH[Kim, Mun Ho]; Park, OO[Park, O. Ok]
- DGIST Authors
- Park, OO[Park, O. Ok]
- Issue Date
- Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 125, E630-E637
- Article Type
- Cetyl Pyridium Chlorides; Chlorine Compounds; Clay; Clay Layers; Clay Nanocomposites; Crystallization; Crystallization Rates; Differential Scanning Calorimetry; Exfoliated Clay; Melt-Intercalation Process; Melt Intercalation; Mixing Process; Nanocomposite; Nanocomposites; Neat Polymer; Nucleating Effect; Organophilic Clays; Polystyrenes; Styrenic Polymers; Syndiotactic Polystyrene; Syndiotactic Polystyrenes (SPs); Thermal Instabilities; Transmission Electron Microscopy; X Ray Diffraction
- The fabrication of syndiotactic polystyrene (sPS)/organophilic clay nanocomposite was conducted via melt intercalation process. To obtain sPS nanocomposites with exfoliated clay, the stepwise mixing process using RPS as amorphous styrenic polymer was adopted. Also, organophilic clay modified by cetyl pyridium chloride was used to overcome the thermal instability of commonly used clay and to enhance the compatibility of clay with sPS. We could obtain exfoliated sPS nanocomposites in all compositions without any collapsed clay layers. The microstructures of nanocomposites were confirmed by X-ray diffraction and transmission electron microscopy. The crystallization rate of nanocomposites investigated by differential scanning calorimetry increases with the content of clay, which may be due to the nucleating effect of the clay layer. Nanocomposites exhibited enhanced stiffness relative to the neat polymer. © 2012 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
- Wiley Blackwell
There are no files associated with this item.
- Energy Science and EngineeringETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.