Cited 9 time in
Cited 18 time in
Age and cross-cultural comparison of drivers' cognitive workload and performance in simulated urban driving
- Age and cross-cultural comparison of drivers' cognitive workload and performance in simulated urban driving
- Son, J[Son, J.]; Reimer, B[Reimer, B.]; Mehler, B[Mehler, B.]; Pohlmeyer, AE[Pohlmeyer, A. E.]; Godfrey, KM[Godfrey, K. M.]; Orszulak, J[Orszulak, J.]; Long, J[Long, J.]; Kim, MH[Kim, M. H.]; Lee, YT[Lee, Y. T.]; Coughlin, JF[Coughlin, J. F.]
- DGIST Authors
- Son, J[Son, J.]; Kim, MH[Kim, M. H.]; Lee, YT[Lee, Y. T.]
- Issue Date
- International Journal of Automotive Technology, 11(4), 533-539
- Article Type
- Age; Cognitive Loads; Cognitive Workload; Cognitive Workloads; Control Measures; Cross-Cultural Comparisons; Culture; Distraction; Driving Demand; Driving Simulation; Dual-Tasks; Mean Velocities; Older Driver Behavior; Older Drivers; Urban Settings
- Driving demands significant psychomotor attention and requires even more when drivers are engaged in secondary tasks that increase cognitive workload and divert attention. It is well established that age influences driving risk. Less is known about how culture impacts changes in attention. We conducted parallel driving simulations in the US and Korea to measure the extent to which age and culture influence dual-task performance. There were 135 participants divided into two groups: a younger group aged 20~29, and an older group aged 60~69. Whereas some differences by culture appeared in absolute control measures, the younger participants showed similar mean velocity and compensatory patterns associated with increased cognitive load in the urban setting; however, the results from the older samples were less similar. © 2010 The Korean Society of Automotive Engineers and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- KOREAN SOC AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Companion Diagnostics and Medical Technology Research Group1. Journal Articles
ETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.