Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Semi-empirical long-term cycle life model coupled with an electrolyte depletion function for large-format graphite/LiFePO4 lithium-ion batteries
- Semi-empirical long-term cycle life model coupled with an electrolyte depletion function for large-format graphite/LiFePO4 lithium-ion batteries
- Park, Joonam; Appiah, Williams Agyei; Byun, Seoung Woo; Jin, Dahee; Ryou, Myung-Hyun; Lee, Yong Min
- DGIST Authors
- Appiah, Williams Agyei; Byun, Seoung Woo; Lee, Yong Min
- Issue Date
- Journal of Power Sources, 365, 257-265
- Article Type
- Capacity Fade Mechanisms; Cells; Charging (Batteries); Cycle Lives; Discharge; Electric Batteries; Electric Discharges; Electrochemical Performance; Electrochemical Reactions; Electrolyte Depletion; Electrolytes; Equivalent Circuits; Graphite; Ions; Large Format; Large-Format Lithium-Ion Battery; Lithium; Lithium Compounds; Lithium-Ion Batteries; Mathematical-Model; Model And Simulation; Modeling And Simulation; Operating Condition; Porous Composite Electrodes; Rare Earth Alloys; Reaction Kinetics; Secondary Batteries; Semi-Empirical Cycle Life Model; Semi-Empirical Modeling; Simulation; Statistical Process Control; Storage
- To overcome the limitation of simple empirical cycle life models based on only equivalent circuits, we attempt to couple a conventional empirical capacity loss model with Newman's porous composite electrode model, which contains both electrochemical reaction kinetics and material/charge balances. In addition, an electrolyte depletion function is newly introduced to simulate a sudden capacity drop at the end of cycling, which is frequently observed in real lithium-ion batteries (LIBs). When simulated electrochemical properties are compared with experimental data obtained with 20 Ah-level graphite/LiFePO4 LIB cells, our semi-empirical model is sufficiently accurate to predict a voltage profile having a low standard deviation of 0.0035 V, even at 5C. Additionally, our model can provide broad cycle life color maps under different c-rate and depth-of-discharge operating conditions. Thus, this semi-empirical model with an electrolyte depletion function will be a promising platform to predict long-term cycle lives of large-format LIB cells under various operating conditions. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
- Elsevier B.V.
There are no files associated with this item.
- Energy Science and EngineeringETC1. Journal Articles
ETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.