Cited 5 time in
Cited 4 time in
Relation between Kitaev magnetism and structure in alpha-RuCl3
- Relation between Kitaev magnetism and structure in alpha-RuCl3
- Glamazda, A.; Lemmens, P.; Do, S. -H.; Kwon, Y. S.; Choi, K. -Y.
- DGIST Authors
- Kwon, Y. S.
- Issue Date
- Physical Review B, 95(17)
- Article Type
- CrCl3; Diffraction; Honeycomb; Iridate; Vibrational Spectra
- Raman scattering has been employed to investigate lattice and magnetic excitations of the honeycomb Kitaev material α-RuCl3 and its Heisenberg counterpart CrCl3. Our phonon Raman spectra give evidence for a first-order structural transition from a monoclinic to a rhombohedral structure for both compounds. Significantly, only α-RuCl3 features a large thermal hysteresis, consistent with the formation of a wide phase of coexistence. In the related temperature interval of 70-170 K, we observe a hysteretic behavior of magnetic excitations as well. The stronger magnetic response in the rhombohedral compared to the monoclinic phase evidences a coupling between the crystallographic structure and low-energymagnetic response. Our results demonstrate that the Kitaev magnetism concomitant with fractionalized excitations is susceptible to small variations of bonding geometry. © 2017 American Physical Society.
- American Physical Society
- Related Researcher
Kwon, Yong Seung
Quantum Functional Materials Laboratory
High Tc Superconductors and magnetic materials; Thermoelectric Materials
There are no files associated with this item.
- Emerging Materials ScienceQuantum Functional Materials Laboratory1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.