Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Design of an optical packet switch for real-time applications
- Design of an optical packet switch for real-time applications
- Lee, Jae Myoun; Park, Ju Young; Park, Kyung Joon; Kang, Kyung Tae
- DGIST Authors
- Park, Kyung Joon
- Issue Date
- 2012 International Conference on Information Science and Applications, ICISA 2012
- Article Type
- Algorithms; Clock Period; Clocks; Delay Performance; Design; Design Frameworks; Guaranteed Delay Bound; Information Science; Internet Traffic; Network Switches; Numerical Studies; Optical Packet Switches; Optical Switch Fabrics; Optical Switches; Optimal Switching; Packet Networks; Packet Size; Packet Switching; Performance Evaluation; Real-Time Application; Real-Time Traffics; Schedulability; Switching; Switching Algorithms
- Network switches are typically designed for best- effort Internet traffic. Most of existing studies have been focused on improving throughput and delay performance in an average sense rather than providing guaranteed delay bound that is critical for real-time applications. It has not been fully investigated how to design an efficient packet switching algorithm for real-time applications. In this paper, we propose a design framework for a real-time optical switch that is intended for use as an optical switch fabric. Our contributions are two folds: First, by introducing a clearance-time optimal switching together with clock-based scheduling, our switching design guarantees any feasible real-time traffic to be switched in two- clock periods. Second, we investigate key implementation issues of an optical packet switch such as packet size and buffering for real-time applications, and take account of these issues in design and performance evaluation of a switching algorithm. Our numerical study shows that the proposed switching algorithm provides a larger schedulability region with significantly reduced delay compared to the well-known iSLIP scheme. © 2012 IEEE.
- IEEE Computer Society
- Related Researcher
Park, Kyung Joon
CSI(Cyber-Physical Systems Integration) Lab
Design of Wireless Network for Cyber-Physical System; 무선 센서 네트워크; 강인 무선 네트워크
There are no files associated with this item.
- Information and Communication EngineeringCSI(Cyber-Physical Systems Integration) Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.