Cited 15 time in
Cited 0 time in
Wireless LAN with Medical-Grade QoS for E-Healthcare
- Wireless LAN with Medical-Grade QoS for E-Healthcare
- Lee, Hyungho; Park, Kyung-Joon; Ko, Young-Bae; Choi, Chong-Ho
- DGIST Authors
- Park, Kyung-Joon
- Issue Date
- Journal of Communications and Networks, 13(2), 149-159
- Article Type
- Absolute Priority; Contention Window Size; Delay Constraints; Diagnosability; Diagnostic Features; E-Healthcare; Health Care; Healthcare Facility; IEEE 802.11E; IEEE 802.11E Wireless Local Area Network (Wlan); Medical-Grade Quality of Service (QoS); Medical Applications; Monitoring Applications; Patient Monitoring; Performance Evaluation; QoS Metric; Quality Control; Quality of Service (QoS); Relative Priorities; Simulation Result; Standards; Throughput Performance; Traffic Categories; Wireless Healthcare System; Wireless LAN; Wireless Local Area Networks (WLAN)
- In this paper, we study the problem of how to design a medical-grade wireless local area network (WLAN) for healthcare facilities. First, unlike the IEEE 802.11e MAC, which categorizes traffic primarily by their delay constraints, we prioritize medical applications according to their medical urgency. Second, we propose a mechanism that can guarantee absolute priority to each traffic category, which is critical for medical-grade quality of service (QoS), while the conventional 802.11e MAC only provides relative priority to each traffic category. Based on absolute priority, we focus on the performance of real-time patient monitoring applications, and derive the optimal contention window size that can significantly improve the throughput performance. Finally, for proper performance evaluation from a medical viewpoint, we introduce the weighted diagnostic distortion (WDD) as a medical QoS metric to effectively measure the medical diagnosability by extracting the main diagnostic features of medical signal. Our simulation result shows that the proposed mechanism, together with medical categorization using absolute priority, can significantly improve the medical-grade QoS performance over the conventional IEEE 802.11e MAC. © 2011 KICS.
- Korea Information and Communications Society
- Related Researcher
Park, Kyung Joon
CSI(Cyber-Physical Systems Integration) Lab
Design of Wireless Network for Cyber-Physical System; 무선 센서 네트워크; 강인 무선 네트워크
There are no files associated with this item.
- Information and Communication EngineeringCSI(Cyber-Physical Systems Integration) Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.