Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Wastewater treatment and electricity generation from a sunlight-powered single chamber microbial fuel cell
- Wastewater treatment and electricity generation from a sunlight-powered single chamber microbial fuel cell
- Lee, Sung Hyun; Lee, Kyung Suk; Sorcar, Saurav; Razzaq, Abdul; Grimes, C.A.; In, Su Il
- DGIST Authors
- In, Su Il
- Issue Date
- Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry
- Article Type
- Article in Press
- A novel hybrid single chamber microbial fuel cell is described in which a TiO2 nanotube array (TNT) photoanode is coupled with a conventional bioanode to achieve simultaneous degradation of methylene blue (MB) dye with improved power generation. As compared to a conventional microbial fuel cell (MFC), the described hybrid-MFC exhibits enhanced power density (14%), current density (33%), and voltage (4%) while simultaneously degrading MB dye, 82.79% after 3.5h of operation under simulated solar light illumination. The key factor attributed to the enhanced performance is the addition of photogenerated electrons to the MFC external circuit. The effect of various design configurations is also investigated, such as the presence of an air cathode, anode type, and illumination. The hybrid-MFC strategy provides new directions for productive and economical utilization of microbial fuel cells. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Related Researcher
In, Su Il
Green and Renewable Energy for Endless Nature(GREEN) Lab
CO2 conversion to hydrocarbon fuels; Water splitting for hydrogen generation; Quantum dot devices; Dye sensitized solar cells; Environmental remediation; Synthesis of functional nanomaterials; CO2 연료전환; 수소생산을 위한 광전기화학적 물분해; 양자점 태양전지; 염료감응 태양전지; 공해물질 저감연구; 기능성 나노소재 개발
There are no files associated with this item.
- Energy Science and EngineeringGreen and Renewable Energy for Endless Nature(GREEN) Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.