Cited 3 time in
Cited 5 time in
The Vomeronasal Organ and Adjacent Glands Express Components of Signaling Cascades Found in Sensory Neurons in the Main Olfactory System
- The Vomeronasal Organ and Adjacent Glands Express Components of Signaling Cascades Found in Sensory Neurons in the Main Olfactory System
- Lee, Sang Jin; Mammen, Alex; Kim, Esther J; Kim, So Yeun; Park, Yun Ju; Park, Mi Ra; Han, Hyung Soo; Bae, Yong Chul; Ronnett, Gabriele V; Moon, Che Il
- DGIST Authors
- Moon, Che Il
- Issue Date
- Molecules and Cells, 26(5), 503-513
- Article Type
- gland; immunohistochemistry; olfaction; pheromone; signal transduction; VNO; vomeronasal
- The vomeronasal organ (VNO) is a sensory organ that influences social and/or reproductive behavior and, in many cases, the survival of an organism. The VNO is believed to mediate responses to pheromones; however, many mechanisms of signal transduction in the VNO remain elusive. Here, we examined the expression of proteins involved in signal transduction that are found in the main olfactory system in the VNO. The localization of many signaling molecules in the VNO is quite different from those in the main olfactory system, suggesting differences in signal transduction mechanisms between these two chemosensory organs. Various signaling molecules are expressed in distinct areas of VNO sensory epithelium. Interestingly, we found the expressions of groups of these signaling molecules in glandular tissues adjacent to VNO, supporting the physiological significance of these glandular tissues. Our finding of high expression of signaling proteins in glandular tissues suggests that neurohumoral factors influence glandular tissues to modulate signaling cascades that in turn alter the responses of the VNO to hormonal status. © 2008 KSMCB.
- Related Researcher
Moon, Che Il
Brain convergent science based on chemical senses; olfaction; 감각신경계 기반 뇌융합과학; 후각 신경계
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesMoon Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.