Cited 6 time in
Cited 8 time in
Realization of ordered magnetic skyrmions in thin films at ambient conditions
- Realization of ordered magnetic skyrmions in thin films at ambient conditions
- Desautels, Ryan D.; DeBeer-Schmitt, Lisa; Montoya, Sergio A.; Borchers, Julie A.; Je, Soong-Geun; Tang, Nan; Im, Mi-Young; Fitzsimmons, Michael R.; Fullerton, Eric E.; Gilbert, Dustin A.
- Issue Date
- Physical Review Materials, 3(10)
- Article Type
- LATTICE; TRANSITION; DYNAMICS
- Magnetic skyrmions have captivated physicists due to their topological nature and novel physical properties. In addition, skyrmions hold significant promise for future information technologies. A key barrier to realizing skyrmion-based devices has been stabilizing these spin structures under ambient conditions. In this paper, we demonstrate that the tunable magnetic properties of amorphous Fe/Gd mulitlayers enable the formation of skyrmion lattices which are stable over a large temperature and magnetic field parameter space, including room temperature and zero magnetic field. These skyrmions, having a hybrid nature displaying both Bloch-type and Néel-type characteristics, are stabilized by dipolar interactions rather than Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interactions, typically considered a requirement for the generation of skyrmions. Small angle neutron scattering (SANS) was used in combination with soft x-ray microscopy to provide a unique, multiscale probe of the local and long-range order of these structures. The hexagonal lattice seen in SANS results from the hybrid skyrmion picture obtained with micromagnetic simulations. These results identify a pathway to engineer controllable skyrmion phases in thin film geometries which are stable at ambient conditions. © 2019 American Physical Society.
- American Physical Society
There are no files associated with this item.
- ETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.