Cited 20 time in
Cited 21 time in
Creation and annihilation of topological meron pairs in in-plane magnetized films
- Creation and annihilation of topological meron pairs in in-plane magnetized films
- Gao, Ningbo; Je, Scherger; Im, Mi‐Young; Choi, Jun Woo; Yang, Masheng; Li, Qin-ci; Wang T.Y.; Lee, Suk Woo; Han, Hexiang; Lee, Ki-Suk; Chao, Weiwei; Hwang, Changyong; Li J.; Qiu Z.Q.
- Issue Date
- Nature Communications, 10(1)
- Article Type
- MICROSCOPY; DYNAMICS; SKYRMION LATTICE; ROOM-TEMPERATURE; STATES; CORE
- Merons which are topologically equivalent to one-half of skyrmions can exist only in pairs or groups in two-dimensional (2D) ferromagnetic (FM) systems. The recent discovery of meron lattice in chiral magnet Co8Zn9Mn3 raises the immediate challenging question that whether a single meron pair, which is the most fundamental topological structure in any 2D meron systems, can be created and stabilized in a continuous FM film? Utilizing winding number conservation, we develop a new method to create and stabilize a single pair of merons in a continuous Py film by local vortex imprinting from a Co disk. By observing the created meron pair directly within a magnetic field, we determine its topological structure unambiguously and explore the topological effect in its creation and annihilation processes. Our work opens a pathway towards developing and controlling topological structures in general magnetic systems without the restriction of perpendicular anisotropy and Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction. © 2019, The Author(s).
- Nature Research
- ETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.