Cited 1 time in
Cited 1 time in
Pd-YSZ cermet membranes with self-repairing capability in extreme H2S conditions
- Pd-YSZ cermet membranes with self-repairing capability in extreme H2S conditions
- Jeon, SY[Jeon, Sang-Yun]; Singh, B[Singh, Bhupendra]; Im, HN[Im, Ha-Ni]; Lee, KT[Lee, Kang-Taek]; Song, SJ[Song, Sun-Ju]
- DGIST Authors
- Lee, KT[Lee, Kang-Taek]
- Issue Date
- Ceramics International, 43(2), 2291-2296
- Article Type
- Ambipolar Diffusion; Cermets; Coupled Operation; Gas Permeable Membranes; H2S Tolerance; Hydrogen Production; Hydrogen Separation; Hydrogen Separation Membranes; Membrane Surface; Membranes; Pd-YSZ Cermet Hydrogen Separation Membrane; Repair; Self-Repairing Capability; Self Repairing; Separation; Sulfur Dioxide; Sulfur Tolerance; Surface Diffusion; Surface Segregation; Water-Splitting; Yttria Stabilized Zirconia
- A Pd-YSZ cermet membrane that performs coupled operations of hydrogen separation from a mixed-gas stream and simultaneous hydrogen production by non-galvanic water-splitting, and have high sulfur tolerance is fabricated. It is proved that in H2S containing atmosphere the Pd-YSZ membrane has self-repairing capability, originating mainly from the conversion of Pd4S back to metallic Pd and SO2 by ambipolar-diffused oxygen obtained from water-splitting. The performance of membrane was analyzed at different temperatures in high H2S containing (0–4000 ppm H2S) mixed gas feed during the operation as a hydrogen separation membrane as well as during the coupled operation of hydrogen separation and hydrogen production. At 900 °C with the feed-stream having ≥2000 ppm H2S, the hydrogen flux was severely affected due to the formation of some liquid phase of Pd4S, resulting in the segregation of hydrogen permeating Pd-phase at the membrane surface. But at 800 °C, though the membrane was affected by the Pd4S formation in high H2S environment (up to 1200 ppm H2S), its self-repairing capability and additional hydrogen production by water-splitting is capable of maintaining the hydrogen flux around ~1.24 cm3 (STP)/min.cm2, a value expected by the same membrane while performing only the hydrogen separation function in H2S-free environment. © 2016 Elsevier Ltd and Techna Group S.r.l.
- Elsevier Ltd
- Related Researcher
AECSL(Advanced Energy Conversion and Storage Lab)
Advanced energy conversion and storage systems; Solid-state Electrochemical Energy Devices; All solid-state batteries; low-temperature solid oxide fuel cells(SOFCs); 신 에너지 변환 및 저장 시스템; Solid-state Electrochemical Energy Devices; 차세대 전고체 이차전지(solid-state batteries) 및 저온화 고체산화물 연료전지(LT-SOFCs)
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Energy Science and EngineeringAECSL(Advanced Energy Conversion and Storage Lab)1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.