Cited 1 time in
Cited 0 time in
The effect of neutral-surface iron oxide nanopar-ticles on cellular uptake and signaling pathways
- The effect of neutral-surface iron oxide nanopar-ticles on cellular uptake and signaling pathways
- Kim, E[Kim, Eunjoo]; Kim, JM[Kim, Joon Mee]; Kim, L[Kim, Lucia]; Choi, SJ[Choi, Suk Jin]; Park, IS[Park, In Suh]; Han, JY[Han, Jee Young]; Chu, YC[Chu, Young Chae]; Choi, ES[Choi, Eun Sook]; Na, K[Na, Kun]; Hong, SS[Hong, Soon-Sun]
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, E[Kim, Eunjoo]; Choi, ES[Choi, Eun Sook]
- Issue Date
- International Journal of Nanomedicine, 11, 4595-4607
- Article Type
- 3-Methacryloxypropyltrimethoxysilane; Accumulation; Animal; Animals; Cell Death; Cell Line; Chemistry; Dextran; Dextrans; Endocytosis; Endothelial Cells; Endothelium Cell; Ferric Compounds; Ferric Ion; Ferric Oxide; Gene Expression Profiling; Human; Humans; Infrared Spectroscopy; Iron; Iron Oxide Nanoparticles; Magnetite Nanoparticle; Magnetite Nanoparticles; Metabolism; Methacrylates; Methacrylic Acid Derivative; Nanoparticle; Nanoparticles; Neutral Hydrophobic Surface; Rats, Sprague-Dawley; Reactive Oxygen Metabolite; Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS); Signal Transduction; Signaling Pathway; Silane Derivative; Silanes; Spectroscopy, Fourier Transform Infrared; Sprague Dawley Rat; Superparamagnetic Iron Oxide; Tissue Distribution; Ultrastructure; Uptake
- In recent years, iron oxide nanoparticles (IONPs) have been applied widely to biomedical fields. However, the relationship between the physicochemical properties of IONPs and their biological behavior is not fully understood yet. We prepared 3-methacryl-oxypropyltrimethoxysilane (MPS)-coated IONPs, which have a neutral hydrophobic surface, and compared their biological behavior to that of Resovist (ferucarbotran), a commercialized IONP formulation modified with carboxymethyl dextran. The rate of MPS-IONP uptake by human aortic endothelial cells (HAoECs) was higher than ferucarbotran uptake, indicating that the neutral hydrophobic nature of MPS-IONPs allowed them to be absorbed more readily through the plasma membrane. However, the signaling pathways activated by MPS-IONPs and ferucarbotran were comparable, suggesting that surface charge is not a key factor for inducing changes in HAoECs. In vivo fate analysis showed that MPS-IONPs accumulated for longer periods in tissues than hydrophilic ferucarbotran. These findings could enlarge our understanding of NP behavior for advanced applications in the biomedical field.
- Dove Medical Press
- Related Researcher
Biomarker, liquid biopsy, nanomedicine, molecular diagnosis
There are no files associated with this item.
- Companion Diagnostics and Medical Technology Research Group1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.