Cited 7 time in
Cited 10 time in
Expression of gibberellin 2-oxidase 4 from Arabidopsis under the control of a senescence-associated promoter results in a dominant semi-dwarf plant with normal flowering
- Expression of gibberellin 2-oxidase 4 from Arabidopsis under the control of a senescence-associated promoter results in a dominant semi-dwarf plant with normal flowering
- Lee, DH[Lee, Dong Hee]; Lee, IC[Lee, In Chul]; Kim, KJ[Kim, Kook Jin]; Kim, DS[Kim, Dong Su]; Na, HJ[Na, Hyung Jin]; Lee, IJ[Lee, In-Jung]; Kang, SM[Kang, Sang-Mo]; Jeon, HW[Jeon, Hyung-Woo]; Le, PY[Le, Phi Yen]; Ko, JH[Ko, Jae-Heung]
- DGIST Authors
- Lee, IC[Lee, In Chul]
- Issue Date
- Journal of Plant Biology, 57(2), 106-116
- Article Type
- Arabidopsis; Dwarf; Flowering; Gibberellin; Gibberellin 2-Oxidase; Senescence-Associated Promoter
- Gibberellin (GA), a plant hormone, is involved in many aspects of plant growth and development both in vegetative and reproductive phases. GA2-oxidase plays a key role in the GA catabolic pathway to reduce bioactive GAs. We produced transgenic Arabidopsis plants expressing GA2-oxidase 4 (AtGA2ox4) under the control of a senescenceassociated promoter (SEN1). As we hypothesized, transgenic plants (SEN1::AtGA2ox4) exhibited a dominant semi-dwarf phenotype with a decrease of bioactive GAs (e.g., GA4 and GA1) up to two-fold compared to control plants. Application of bioactive GA3 resulted in increased shoot length, indicating that the GA signaling pathway functions normally in the SEN1::AtGA2ox4 plants. Expressions of other members of GA2-oxidase family, such as AtGA2ox1, AtGA2ox3, AtGA2ox6, and AtGA2ox8, were decreased slightly in the flower and silique tissues while GA biosynthetic genes (e.g., AtGA20ox1, AtGA20ox2 and AtGA3ox1) were not significantly changed in the SEN::AtGA2ox4 plants. Using proteome profiling (2-D PAGE followed by MALDI-TOF/MS), we identified 29 protein spots that were increased in the SEN1::AtGA2ox4 plants, but were decreased to wild-type levels by GA3 treatment. The majority were found to be involved in photosynthesis and carbon/energy metabolism. Unlike the previous constitutive over-expression of GA2-oxidases, which frequently led to floral deformity and/or loss of fertility, the SEN1::AtGA2ox4 plants retained normal floral morphology and seed production. Accordingly, the expressions of FT and CO genes remained unchanged in the SEN1::AtGA2ox4 plants. Taken together, our results suggest that the dominant dwarf trait carried by SEN1::AtGA2ox4 plants can be used as an efficient dwarfing tool in plant biotechnological applications. © 2014 Korean Society of Plant Biologists and Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg.
- Springer New York LLC
There are no files associated with this item.
- ETC1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.