Cited 11 time in
Cited 18 time in
Age-Related Physical and Emotional Characteristics to Safety Warning Sounds: Design Guidelines for Intelligent Vehicles
- Age-Related Physical and Emotional Characteristics to Safety Warning Sounds: Design Guidelines for Intelligent Vehicles
- Kim, Man Ho; Lee, Yong Tae; Son, Joonwoo
- DGIST Authors
- Son, Joonwoo
- Issue Date
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part C: Applications and Reviews, 40(5), 592-598
- Article Type
- Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS); Advanced Driver Assistance Systems; ASSISTANCE; Audition; AUDITORY SIGNALS; Automobile Drivers; Automobile Simulators; emotional Preference; ERGONOMICS RECOMMENDATIONS; Hearing; ICONS; Intelligent Vehicle; Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems; Intelligent Vehicles; MODALITY; Older Driver; Older Drivers; Physical Response; Physical Response; Safety Warning Sounds Guideline; SYSTemS; Vehicles
- Recent technological advances have made motor vehicles more intelligent to increase safety and comfort. An intelligent vehicle provides drivers with safety warning information through audible sounds, visual displays, and tactile feedback. However, elderly drivers often have decreased cognitive and psychomotor abilities in the areas such as hearing, eyesight, short-term memory, and spatial perception. Therefore, possible age-related deficits should be considered when designing effective warning systems. This paper evaluates the impact of advancing age on drivers physical responses and emotional preferences with regard to audible safety warnings that are widely used to warn about driving hazards. Three sound characteristics (frequency, tempo, and intensity) and three age groups (younger, middle, and older) were considered in investigating the effect of age-related hearing loss and reduced speed of movement. Data were collected from 38 drivers who drove on a simulated rural road in a driving simulator. Experimental results showed that age influenced drivers responses and emotional preference. An appropriate range of warning sounds is suggested. © 2010 IEEE.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Division of Electronics & Information System1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.