Cited 9 time in
Cited 9 time in
An on-chip micromagnet frictionometer based on magnetically driven colloids for nano-bio interfaces
- An on-chip micromagnet frictionometer based on magnetically driven colloids for nano-bio interfaces
- Hu, Xinghao; Goudu, Sandhya Rani; Torati, Sri Ramulu; Lim, Byeonghwa; Kim, Kunwoo; Kim, CheolGi
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, CheolGi
- Issue Date
- Lab on a Chip: Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology, 16(18), 3485-3492
- Article Type
- A novel method based on remotely controlled magnetic forces of bio-functionalized superparamagnetic colloids using micromagnet arrays was devised to measure frictional force at the sub-picoNewton (pN) scale for bio-nano-/micro-electromechanical system (bio-NEMS/MEMS) interfaces in liquid. The circumferential motion of the colloids with phase-locked angles around the periphery of the micromagnets under an in-plane rotating magnetic field was governed by a balance between tangential magnetic force and drag force, which consists of viscous and frictional forces. A model correlating the phase-locked angles of the steady colloid rotation was formulated and validated by measuring the angles under controlled magnetic forces. Hence, the frictional forces on the streptavidin/Teflon interface between the colloids and the micromagnet arrays were obtained using the magnetic forces at the phase-locked angles. The friction coefficient for the streptavidin/Teflon interface was estimated to be approximately 0.036 regardless of both vertical force in the range of a few hundred pN and velocity in the range of a few tenths of μm s-1. © The Royal Society of Chemistry 2016.
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- Related Researcher
Lab for NanoBio-MatErials & SpinTronics(nBEST)
Magnetic Materials and Spintronics; Converging Technology of Nanomaterials and Biomaterials; Bio-NEMS;MEMS
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Emerging Materials ScienceLab for NanoBio-Materials & SpinTronics(nBEST)1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.