Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Assessing photocatalytic activity using methylene blue without dye sensitisation
- Assessing photocatalytic activity using methylene blue without dye sensitisation
- Lee, Soo Keun; Mills, Andrew; Wells, Nathan
- DGIST Authors
- Lee, Soo Keun
- Issue Date
- Catalysis Today, 313(SI), 211-217
- Article Type
- Article; Proceedings Paper
- Cadmium sulfide; Photobleaching; Photocatalysis; Photocatalysts; Photolysis; Photosensitizers; Sulfur compounds; Titanium dioxide; Action spectra; Diffuse reflectance spectrum; Dye sensitisation; Leuco methylene blue; Methylene Blue; Photocatalytic activities; Semiconductor photocatalyst; Semiconductor powders; Aromatic compounds
- The anaerobic photocatalysed reduction of methylene blue, MB, by glycerol to leuco methylene blue, LMB, is studied using UV-absorbing, P25 TiO2, and visible-absorbing, CdS, semiconductor powder particles as the photosensitizer. In both cases, the photo-reductive bleaching of the dye to LMB, is very rapid, typically <2min. The photobleaching of the MB is readily and simply reversed in the dark by allowing air into the system, so as to let the ambient oxygen to oxidise the photogenerated LMB back to its original blue, oxidized form, MB. Action spectra are recorded for both systems and reveal no evidence of dye-sensitisation, nor dye photolysis over the time scale of the reaction (i.e. ca. 2min). Instead, the action spectra exhibit spectral profiles that match very well that of the diffuse reflectance spectra of the respective semiconductor photocatalysts. The MB/glycerol system appears to offer a simple, quick, unambiguous way to assess the photocatalytic activity of both visible and UV absorbing photocatalyst powders using a dye, such as MB. © 2017 Elsevier B.V.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Related Researcher
Nano material, photocatalyst, TiO2, ZnO
There are no files associated with this item.
- Smart Textile Convergence Research Group1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.