Cited 19 time in
Cited 23 time in
Loss-of-function of OsSTN8 suppresses the photosystem II core protein phosphorylation and interferes with the photosystem II repair mechanism in rice (Oryza sativa)
- Loss-of-function of OsSTN8 suppresses the photosystem II core protein phosphorylation and interferes with the photosystem II repair mechanism in rice (Oryza sativa)
- Nath, Krishna; Poudyal, Roshan Sharma; Eom, Joon-Seob; Park, Yu Shin; Zulfugarov, Ismayil S.; Mishra, Sujata R.; Tovuu, Altanzaya; Ryoo, Nayeoon; Yoon, Ho-Sung; Nam, Hong Gil; An, Gynheung; Jeon, Jong-Seong; Lee, Choon-Hwan
- DGIST Authors
- Nam, Hong Gil
- Issue Date
- Plant Journal, 76(4), 675-686
- Article Type
- Chemistry; Core Proteins; D1 Protein; D1 Protein Degradation; Drug Antagonism; Enzymes; Enzymology; Gene Expression Regulation; Gene Knockdown Techniques; Gene Silencing; Genetics; High Light Illumination; High Lights; Light; Metabolism; Mutagenesis, Insertional; Oryza Sativa; Phenotype; Phosphorylation; Photosystem I; Photosystem I Protein Complex; Photosystem II; Photosystem II Core Protein Phosphorylation; Photosystem II Protein Complex; Photosystem II Repair; Plant Leaf; Plant Leaves; Plant Proteins; Protein-Serine-Threonine Kinases; Protein Kinase; Protein Kinases; Protein Serine Threonine Kinase; Proteins; Repair; Rice; STN8 Kinase; STN8 Protein, Arabidopsis; Thylakoid; Thylakoids; Ultrastructure; Vegetable Protein
- STN8 kinase is involved in photosystem II (PSII) core protein phosphorylation (PCPP). To examine the role of PCPP in PSII repair during high light (HL) illumination, we characterized a T-DNA insertional knockout mutant of the rice (Oryza sativa) STN8 gene. In this osstn8 mutant, PCPP was significantly suppressed, and the grana were thin and elongated. Upon HL illumination, PSII was strongly inactivated in the mutants, but the D1 protein was degraded more slowly than in wild-type, and mobilization of the PSII supercomplexes from the grana to the stromal lamellae for repair was also suppressed. In addition, higher accumulation of reactive oxygen species and preferential oxidation of PSII reaction center core proteins in thylakoid membranes were observed in the mutants during HL illumination. Taken together, our current data show that the absence of STN8 is sufficient to abolish PCPP in osstn8 mutants and to produce all of the phenotypes observed in the double mutant of Arabidopsis, indicating the essential role of STN8-mediated PCPP in PSII repair. © 2013 The Authors The Plant Journal © 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Wiley Blackwell
- Related Researcher
Nam, Hong Gil
CBRG(Complex Biology Research Group)
Plant Aging and Life History; Systems Biology; Complexbiology; Comparative Aging Research
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of New BiologyCBRG(Complex Biology Research Group)1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.