Cited 3 time in
Cited 2 time in
Electrically tunable birefringence of a polymer composite with long-range orientational ordering of liquid crystals
- Electrically tunable birefringence of a polymer composite with long-range orientational ordering of liquid crystals
- Choi, B[Choi, Byeongdae]; Song, S[Song, Seongkyu]; Jeong, SM[Jeong, Soon Moon]; Chung, SH[Chung, Seok-Hwan]; Glushchenko, A[Glushchenko, Anatoliy]
- DGIST Authors
- Choi, B[Choi, Byeongdae]; Song, S[Song, Seongkyu]; Jeong, SM[Jeong, Soon Moon]; Chung, SH[Chung, Seok-Hwan]
- Issue Date
- Optics Express, 22(15), 18027-18035
- Article Type
- Birefringence; Copolymers; Driving Voltages; Electrically Tunable; Electro-Optical; Light Modulators; Liquid Crystals; Liquid Crystals (LCs); Long Range Orders; Optical Films; Orientational Order of Liquid Crystal; Phase Retardation; Phase Separation; Polymer Composite; Polymerization; Polymers; Thick Films
- We report an optical film with electrically tunable birefringence in which the liquid crystals (LCs), mixed with the host polymer, form longrange ordering. The film was prepared through polymerization without phase separation between the LCs and polymers. Driving voltage below 30 V for full switching of birefringence is achieved in a 6 μm-thick film. Electro-optical investigations for the film suggest that the long-range ordering of the LCs mixed in the film caused by polymerization lead to rotations of the LCs as well as optical anisotropy in the film. These films with electrically tunable birefringence could have applications as flexible light modulators and phase retardation films for 2D-3D image switching. © 2014 Optical Society of America.
- OSA - The Optical Society
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Intelligent Devices and Systems Research Group1. Journal Articles
Smart Textile Convergence Research Group1. Journal Articles
Magnet-Controlled Materials Research Group1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.