Cited 7 time in
Cited 8 time in
Continuous topical drug delivery using osmotic pump in animal cochlear implant model: Continuous steroid delivery is effective for hearing preservation
- Continuous topical drug delivery using osmotic pump in animal cochlear implant model: Continuous steroid delivery is effective for hearing preservation
- Lee, Min Young; Lee, Jun Ho; Lee, Ho Sun; Choi, Jun-Jae; Jang, Jong Moon; Choi, Hongsoo; Oh, Seung-Ha; Jang, Jeong Hun
- DGIST Authors
- Choi, Hongsoo
- Issue Date
- Acta Oto-Laryngologica, 135(8), 791-798
- Article Type
- Albino Guinea Pig; Animal; Animal Experiment; Animal Tissue; Animals; Audiometry, Pure Tone; Auditory Threshold; Auditory Threshold; Cochlea Prosthesis; Cochlear Implantation; Cochlear Implants; Controlled Study; Dexamethasone; Dexamethasone; Disease Model; Disease Models, Animal; Drug Delivery System; Drug Delivery Systems; Drug Effects; Drug Efficacy; Evoked Brain Stem Auditory Response; Evoked Potentials, Auditory, Brain Stem; Female; Female; Giant Cell; Guinea Pig; Guinea Pig Model; Guinea Pigs; Hearing; Hearing; Hearing Loss; Hearing Protection; Histiocyte; Histology; InnerEar Function; Insertion; Non Human; Osmotic Pump; Otorhinolaryngology Drug Delivery Device; Pathophysiology; Physiology; Priority Journal; Protection; Pure Tone Audiometry; Residual Hearing; Round Window Dexamethasone; Stimulation; Surgery; Therapy; Topical Drug Administration; Trauma
- Conclusions: Continuous topical drug delivery using an osmotic pump is an effective supplementary technique for hearing preservation after cochlear implantation, as demonstrated in a guinea pig model. Objective: To evaluate the effect of continuous topical steroid delivery via an osmotic pump in an animal cochlear implant model. Methods: Twenty-three guinea pigs were used for the study. The animals were divided into three groups: control group (n = 8), simple topical dexamethasone delivery group (sDEXA group, n = 7) and continuous topical dexamethasone delivery group (cDEXA, n = 8). The hearing thresholds of all animals were measured by pre-operative auditory brain stem responses (ABRs) at 2, 8, 16, 24, and 32 kHz. ABRs were re-evaluated after cochlear implantation, and the animals were sacrificed for hematoxylin and eosin staining. Results: The ABR threshold at 1 week post-operatively was significantly lower in the cDEXA group than in the control and sDEXA groups at most frequencies. Threshold shifts from baseline were statistically smaller in the cDEXA group than in the control and sDEXA groups at all frequencies. Histological analysis revealed decreased numbers of multi-nucleated giant cells and thinner histiocyte layers. © 2015 Informa Healthcare.
- Informa Healthcare
- Related Researcher
Bio-Micro Robotics Lab
Micro/Nano robot; Neural prostheses; MEMS; BMI; MEMS/NEMS; BioMEMS; MEMS 초음파 트랜스듀스; 인공와우
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Robotics EngineeringBio-Micro Robotics Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.