Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
Effect of nanopatterning on mechanical properties of Lithium anode
- Effect of nanopatterning on mechanical properties of Lithium anode
- Campbell, Colin; Lee, Yong Min; Cho, Kuk Young; Lee, Young-Gi; Lee, Byeongdu; Phatak, Charudatta; Hong, Seungbum
- DGIST Authors
- Lee, Yong Min
- Issue Date
- Scientific Reports, 8(1)
- Article Type
- Nanopatterning; mechanical properties; Li anode; Lithium ion batteries
- One of the challenges in developing Lithium anodes for Lithium ion batteries (LIB) is controlling the formation of Li dendrites during cycling of the battery. Nanostructuring and nanopatterning of electrodes shows a promising way to suppress the growth of Li dendrites. However, in order to control this behavior, a fundamental understanding of the effect of nanopatterning on the electro-mechanical properties of Li metal is necessary. In this paper, we have investigated the mechanical and wear properties of Li metal using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) in an airtight cell. By using different load regimes, we determined the mechanical properties of Li metal. We show that as a result of nanopatterning, Li metal surface underwent work hardening due to residual compressive stress. The presence of such stresses can help to improve cycle lifetime of LIBs with Li anodes and obtain very high energy densities. Keywords: Nanopatterning, mechanical properties, Li anode, Lithium ion batteries © 2018 The Author(s).
- Nature Publishing Group
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Energy Science and EngineeringBattery Materials & Systems LAB1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.