Cited 1 time in
Cited 2 time in
Seizure progression triggered byIQSEC3loss is mitigated by reducing activated microglia in mice
- Seizure progression triggered byIQSEC3loss is mitigated by reducing activated microglia in mice
- Park, Dongseok; Kim, Seungjoon; Kim, Hyeonho; Shin, Jungsu; Jung, Hyeji; Um, Ji Won
- DGIST Authors
- Um, Ji Won
- Issue Date
- GLIA, 68(12), 2661-2673
- Article Type
- Author Keywords
- GABA; inhibitory synapse; IQSEC3; microglia; minocycline; seizure
- BRAIN INFLAMMATION; ANIMAL-MODELS; MINOCYCLINE; EPILEPSY; EPILEPTOGENESIS; MECHANISMS; INNATE
- IQSEC3, a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for ADP-ribosylation factors (ARF-GEFs) is specifically expressed at GABAergic synapses, and its loss increases seizure susceptibility in mice. However, the contribution of microglia to initiation and/or progression of seizures in IQSEC3-deficient mice has not been investigated. In the current study, we show that mice with hippocampal dentate gyrus (DG)-specific IQSEC3 knockdown (KD) exhibit microglial activation and death of DG granule cell. Furthermore, treatment of IQSEC3-KD mice with minocycline, an inhibitor of microglial activation, blocks DG granule neuron cell death and the occurrence of spontaneous seizures without affecting GABAergic synapse deficits or loss of somatostatin. Our results suggest that microglial activation is involved in a subset of IQSEC3-KD-induced epileptogenesis stages, and that its regulation could be an alternative strategy for managing epilepsy. © 2020 Wiley Periodicals LLC
- John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Related Researcher
Um, Ji Won
Synapse Disorder Laboratory
Molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying synapse elimination; Key synaptic mechanisms associated with Alzheimer's disease and autism spectrum disorders; Synaptic homeostasis
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesSynapse Disorder Laboratory1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.