Cited 0 time in
Cited 1 time in
DB-IR integration using tight-coupling in the Odysseus DBMS
- DB-IR integration using tight-coupling in the Odysseus DBMS
- Whang, KY[Whang, Kyu-Young]; Lee, JG[Lee, Jae-Gil]; Lee, MJ[Lee, Min-Jae]; Han, WS[Han, Wook-Shin]; Kim, MS[Kim, Min-Soo]; Kim, JS[Kim, Jun-Sung]
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, MS[Kim, Min-Soo]
- Issue Date
- World Wide Web: Internet and Web Information Systems, 18(3), 491-520
- Article Type
- Closed-Loop Control Systems; Computer Architecture; Database Systems; DB-IR integration; Digital Storage; Information Retrieval; Integration; Novel Structures; Odysseus; Open Source Searches; Query Languages; Query Processing; Query Processing Algorithms; Search Engines; Storage Systems; Structured Data; System Architectures; Tight-Coupling
- As many recent applications require integration of structured data and text data, unifying database (DB) and information retrieval (IR) technologies has become one of major challenges in our field. There have been active discussions on the system architecture for DB-IR integration, but a clear agreement has not been reached yet. Along this direction, we have advocated the use of the tight-coupling architecture and developed a novel structure of the IR index as well as tightly-coupled query processing algorithms. In tight-coupling, the text data type is supported from the storage system just like a built-in data type so that the query processor can efficiently handle queries involving both structured data and text data. In this paper, for archival purposes, we consolidate our achievements reported at non-regular publications over the last ten years or so, extending them by adding greater details on the IR index and the query processing algorithms. All the features in this paper are fully implemented in the Odysseus DBMS that has been under development at KAIST for over 23 years. We show that Odysseus significantly outperforms two open-source DBMSs and one open-source search engine (with some exceptional cases) in processing DB-IR integration queries. These results indeed demonstrate superiority of the tight-coupling architecture for DB-IR integration. © 2013, Springer Science+Business Media New York.
- Related Researcher
Big Data Systems; Big Data Mining & Machine Learning; Big Data Bioinformatics; 데이터 마이닝 및 빅데이터 분석; 바이오인포메틱스 및 뉴로인포메틱스; 뇌-기계 인터페이스(BMI)
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Information and Communication EngineeringInfoLab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.