Cited 24 time in
Cited 22 time in
Two guard cell mitogen-activated protein kinases, MPK9 and MPK12, function in methyl jasmonate-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis thaliana
- Two guard cell mitogen-activated protein kinases, MPK9 and MPK12, function in methyl jasmonate-induced stomatal closure in Arabidopsis thaliana
- Khokon, Md. A. R.; Salam, M. A.; Jammes, F.; Ye, W.; Hossain, M. A.; Uraji, M.; Nakamura, Y.; Mori, I. C.; Kwak, June Myoung; Murata, Y.
- DGIST Authors
- Kwak, June Myoung
- Issue Date
- Plant Biology, 17(5), 946-952
- Article Type
- [Ca2+](Cyt) Oscillations; ABA; Abscisic Acid (ABA); Anion Channel Slac1; Cytosolic Alkalisation; Cytosolic Calcium; Guard Cell; Ion Channel; Map Kinase; Methyl Jasmonate; Mitogen Activated Protein Kinase; Oxygen Species Production; Phosphatase Pair; Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS); Roles; S Type Anion Channels; Signal Transduction
- Methyl jasmonate (MeJA) and abscisic acid (ABA) signalling cascades share several signalling components in guard cells. We previously showed that two guard cell-preferential mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs), MPK9 and MPK12, positively regulate ABA signalling in Arabidopsis thaliana. In this study, we examined whether these two MAP kinases function in MeJA signalling using genetic mutants for MPK9 and MPK12 combined with a pharmacological approach. MeJA induced stomatal closure in mpk9-1 and mpk12-1 single mutants as well as wild-type plants, but not in mpk9-1 mpk12-1 double mutants. Consistently, the MAPKK inhibitor PD98059 inhibited the MeJA-induced stomatal closure in wild-type plants. MeJA elicited reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and cytosolic alkalisation in guard cells of the mpk9-1, mpk12-1 and mpk9-1 mpk12-1 mutants, as well in wild-type plants. Furthermore, MeJA triggered elevation of cytosolic Ca2+ concentration ([Ca2+](cyt)) in the mpk9-1 mpk12-1 double mutant as well as wild-type plants. Activation of S-type anion channels by MeJA was impaired in mpk9-1 mpk12-1. Together, these results indicate that MPK9 and MPK12 function upstream of S-type anion channel activation and downstream of ROS production, cytosolic alkalisation and [Ca2+](cyt) elevation in guard cell MeJA signalling, suggesting that MPK9 and MPK12 are key regulators mediating both ABA and MeJA signalling in guard cells.
- Related Researcher
Kwak, June Myoung
Lab of Cell Signaling and Development
Calcium Signaling; ABA;ROS Signaling; plant development; Development of Abscission; Culluar Features; Signaling network; Environmental Regulation
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of New BiologyLab of Cell Signaling and Development1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.