Cited 10 time in
Cited 10 time in
Improved electrocatalytic activity of electrodeposited Ni3S4 counter electrodes for dye- and quantum dot-sensitized solar cells
- Improved electrocatalytic activity of electrodeposited Ni3S4 counter electrodes for dye- and quantum dot-sensitized solar cells
- Quy, Vu Hong Vinh; Park, Jeong-Hyun; Kang, Soon-Hyung; Kim, Hyunsoo; Ahn, Kwang-Soon; Vu Hong Vinh Quy; Park, Jeong-Hyun; Kang, Soon-Hyung; Kim, Hyunsoo; Ahn, Kwang-Soon
- Issue Date
- Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 70, 322-329
- Article Type
- Author Keywords
- Dye-sensitized solar cell; Electrocatalytic activity; Ni3S4; Potentiodynamic electrodeposition; Quantum dot-sensitized solar cell
- Nickel sulfide (Ni3S4) films are deposited onto F-doped SnO2 (FTO) substrates using a facile one-step potentiodynamic electrodeposition without any extra treatment. The potential sweep is between −0.9 V and 0.7 V (vs. Ag/AgCl) for 4–10 cycles. The series resistance is gradually reduced with increased Ni3S4 film thickness, indicating the metallic conduction of the Ni3S4 phase. The Ni3S4 deposited for 8 cycles (denoted FTO/Ni3S4-8) exhibits full coverage on the FTO substrate, with 110 nm thickness and a distinctive structure of porous and nanoscale interconnecting nanoparticular networks, which provide numerous electrochemical active sites to contact with electrolyte. The film not only exhibits prominent electrocatalytic activities but also shows excellent electrochemical stability in both polysulfide and iodide-based electrolytes compared to FTO/Pt. On the contrary, the FTO/Ni3S4-10 shows merged clusters, leading to more compact and less porous morphology, which reduced electrocatalytic activity. The quantum dot-sensitized solar cell (QD-SSC) fabricated using the FTO/Ni3S4-8 counter electrode (CE) exhibits power conversion efficiency (PCE) of 4.57%, short-circuit current (Jsc) of 15.92 mA cm−2, open-circuit voltage (Voc) of 0.545 V, and fill factor (FF) of 52.63%. In addition, the dye-sensitized solar cell (D-SSC) using FTO/Ni3S4-8 CE achieves a PCE of 8.17%, Jsc of 16.28 mA cm−2, Voc of 0.735 V, and FF of 68.34%. On the other hand, the PCEs of 2.56% and 7.58% are obtained for QD-SSC and D-SSC with Pt CE, respectively. We suggest that the electrodeposited Ni3S4 should be promising electrocatalytic electrodes for various applications such as QD-SSCs, D-SSCs, supercapacitors, photoelectrochemical water-splitting cells, and batteries. © 2018 The Korean Society of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry
There are no files associated with this item.
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.