Cited 1 time in
Cited 0 time in
Neuroprotective Effects of an Erythropoietin-Derived Peptide in PC12 Cells under Oxidative Stress
- Neuroprotective Effects of an Erythropoietin-Derived Peptide in PC12 Cells under Oxidative Stress
- Yoo, SJ[Yoo, Seung-Jun]; Cho, B[Cho, Bongki]; Moon, C[Moon, Chanil]; Yu, SW[Yu, Seong-Woon]; Moon, C[Moon, Cheil]
- DGIST Authors
- Yoo, SJ[Yoo, Seung-Jun]; Cho, B[Cho, Bongki]; Yu, SW[Yu, Seong-Woon]; Moon, C[Moon, Cheil]
- Issue Date
- CNS and Neurological Disorders: Drug Targets, 15(8), 927-934
- Article Type
- Erythropoietin; Erythropoietin Receptor; Neuronal Death; Peptide; Proliferation; Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)
- Erythropoietin (EPO) has been shown to be a key cytokine in the production of erythrocytes from erythroblasts. Recently, attempts have been made to adopt EPO as a drug target for neuroprotection in selected neurological pathologies. In the current study, a novel EPO-derived peptide which mimics the weak binding site of EPO to its receptor (MK-X) was generated. Experimental results demonstrated that MK-X was able to ameliorate neuronal death due to reactive oxygen species and conditions of oxidative stress similar to EPO. In addition, MK-X induced long-lasting Extracellular signal-regulated protein kinases 1 and 2 (ERK1/2) and Akt activation. Furthermore, treatment with inhibitors of ERK1/2 and Akt abolished the neuroprotective effect of MK-X. Unlike EPO, however, MK-X did not induce cellular proliferation. Collectively, the results of the current study suggested that MK-X may be useful as a novel neuroprotective reagent. © 2016 Bentham Science Publishers.
- Bentham Science Publisher
- Related Researcher
Brain convergent science based on chemical senses; olfaction; 감각신경계 기반 뇌융합과학; 후각 신경계
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesMoon Lab1. Journal Articles
Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesLaboratory of Neuronal Cell Death1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.