Cited 7 time in
Cited 7 time in
A top-crossover-to-bottom addressed segmented annular array using piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers
- A top-crossover-to-bottom addressed segmented annular array using piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers
- Jung, Joontaek; Lee, Wonjun; Kang, Woojin; Hong, Hyeryung; Song, Hi Yuen; Oh, Inn-yeal; Park, Chul Soon; Choi, Hongsoo
- DGIST Authors
- Jung, Joontaek; Lee, Wonjun; Kang, Woojin; Choi, Hongsoo
- Issue Date
- Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 25(11)
- Article Type
- Acoustic Impedance; Acoustic Transducers; Anisotropic Silicon Etching; Annular Array; Capacitance; Deep Reactive Ion Etching; Electrodes; Ferroelectric Ceramics; Lead Zirconate Titanate; MEMS; Micro-Machined Ultrasonic Transducer; Microstrip Lines; Natural Frequencies; Parasitic Capacitance; Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducers (PMUTs); Piezoelectric Transducers; Piezoelectricity; Printed Circuit Boards; Printed Circuits; Reactive Ion Etching; Segmented Annular Arrays; Semiconducting Lead Compounds; Silicon Wafers; Sol-Gels; Transducers; Ultrasonic Intensity; Ultrasonic Radiation; Ultrasonic Transducers
- We design and fabricate segmented annular arrays (SAAs) using piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers (pMUTs) to demonstrate the feasibility of acoustic focusing of ultrasound. The fabricated SAAs have 25 concentric top-electrode signal lines and eight bottom-electrodes for grounding to enable electronic steering of selectively grouped ultrasonic transducers from 2393 pMUT elements. Each element in the array is connected by top-crossover-to-bottom metal bridges, which reduce the parasitic capacitance. Circular-shaped pMUT elements, 120 μm in diameter, are fabricated using 1 μm-thick sol-gel lead zirconate titanate on a silicon wafer. To utilize the high-density pMUT array, a deep reactive ion etching process is used for anisotropic silicon etching to realize the transducer membranes. The resonant frequency and effective coupling coefficient of the elements, measured with an impedance analyzer, yields 1.517 MHz and 1.29%, respectively, in air. The SAAs using pMUTs are packaged on a printed circuit board and coated with parylene C for acoustic intensity measurements in water. The ultrasound generated by each segmented array is focused on a selected point in space. When a 5 Vpp, 1.5 MHz square wave is applied, the maximum spatial peak temporal average intensity () is found to be 79 mW cm-2 5 mm from the SAAs' surface without beamforming. The beam widths (-3 dB) of ultrasonic radiation patterns in the elevation and azimuth directions are recorded as 3 and 3.4 mm, respectively. The results successfully show the feasibility of focusing ultrasound on a small area with SAAs using pMUTs. © 2015 IOP Publishing Ltd.
- IOP PUBLISHING LTD
- Related Researcher
Choi, Hong Soo
Bio-Micro Robotics Lab
Micro/Nano robot; Neural prostheses; MEMS; BMI; MEMS/NEMS; BioMEMS; MEMS 초음파 트랜스듀스; 인공와우
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Robotics EngineeringBio-Micro Robotics Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.