Cited 0 time in
Cited 7 time in
Single-step sulfo-selenization method for achieving low open circuit voltage deficit with band gap front-graded Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 thin films
- Single-step sulfo-selenization method for achieving low open circuit voltage deficit with band gap front-graded Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 thin films
- Hwang, Dae Kue; Ko, Byoung Soo; Jeon, Dong Hwan; Kang, Jin Kyu; Sung, Shi Joon; Yang, Kee Jeong; Nam, Da Hyun; Cho, So Yeon; Cheong, Hyeon Sik; Kim, Dae Hwan
- DGIST Authors
- Hwang, Dae Kue; Kang, Jin Kyu; Sung, Shi Joon; Yang, Kee Jeong; Kim, Dae Hwan
- Issue Date
- Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, 161, 162-169
- Article Type
- Band Gap Front-Grading; Compositional Distribution; Copper; CZTSSe Thin Films; Electron Microscopy; Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy; Energy Dispersive X Ray Spectroscopy; Energy Gap; Grading; High Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy; Low Open Circuit Voltage Deficit; Open Circuit Voltage; Optical Properties; Power Conversion Efficiencies; Scanning Electron Microscopy; Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy; Selenization; Selenization Methods; Selenization Process; Semiconducting Selenium Compounds; Solar Cells; Sulfo-Selenization; Thin-Film Solar Cells; Thin-Films; Thin Film Circuits; Timing Circuits; Transmission Electron Microscopy; X Ray Spectroscopy
- In this study, we investigate the electrical, structural, and optical properties of band gap front-graded Cu2ZnSn(S,Se)4 (CZTSSe) thin films grown by a modified single-step sulfo-selenization process from copper-poor and zinc-rich precursor metallic stacks prepared by co-evaporation. To investigate how the bandgap was graded in connection with the compositional distribution, we calculated the bandgap energy distribution along the film thickness, based on the transmission electron microscopy and energy-dispersive X-ray spectroscopy composition profile. The band gap of the CZTSSe phase with high S content near the surface layer is determined to be 1.161 eV. From the surface to the bottom, there is a decrease in the S content of the CZTSSe phase, and the band gap subsequently decreases to, 1.029 eV, close to the value of CZTSe. From the results of dimpling-Raman and scanning transmission electron microscopy line scanning, we confirm that the S content drastically increases from the bottom to the top surface of the CZTSSe thin film. The CZTSSe thin-film solar cell exhibits a power conversion efficiency (PCE) of 10.33%, with an open-circuit voltage (Voc) of 0.505 V, short-circuit current density (Jsc) of 31.61 mA/cm2, fill factor (FF) of 64.6%, and Voc deficit of 525 mV. Compared with the performance of the CZTSe solar cell, which had PCE of 7.23%, Voc of 0.424 V, Jsc of 32.83 mA cm−2, FF of 51.9%, and Voc deficit of 576 mV, the Voc and Voc deficit of the CZTSSe cell improved considerably. The high Voc, low Voc deficit, and less loss of Jsc are attributed to the effect of band gap front-grading induced by S grading into the CZTSSe thin film. © 2016 Elsevier B.V.
- Elsevier B.V.
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Convergence Research Center for Solar Energy1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.