Cited 136 time in
Cited 156 time in
8.9% Single-Stack Inverted Polymer Solar Cells with Electron-Rich Polymer Nanolayer-Modified Inorganic Electron-Collecting Buffer Layers
- 8.9% Single-Stack Inverted Polymer Solar Cells with Electron-Rich Polymer Nanolayer-Modified Inorganic Electron-Collecting Buffer Layers
- Woo, Sung Ho; Kim, Wook Hyun; Kim, Hwajeong; Yi, Yeonjin; Lyu, Hong Kun; Kim, Youngkyoo
- DGIST Authors
- Woo, Sung Ho; Lyu, Hong Kun
- Issue Date
- Advanced Energy Materials, 4(7)
- Article Type
- Buffer Layers; Conduction Bands; Conversion Efficiency; Electric Resistance; Electron-Rich; Electron-Rich Polymers; Heterojunctions; Interfacial Dipoles; Inverted Polymer Solar Cells; Open Circuit Voltage; Optical Waveguides; Photoelectrons; Poly(Ethyleneimine); Polyethyleneimine; Solar Cells; Surface Roughness; Ultraviolet Photoelectron Spectroscopy; X Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy; Zinc Oxide; ZnO
- Enhanced power conversion efficiency (PCE) is reported in inverted polymer solar cells when an electron-rich polymer nanolayer (poly(ethyleneimine) (PEI)) is placed on the surface of an electron-collecting buffer layer (ZnO). The active layer is made with bulk heterojunction films of poly[[4,8-bis[(2- ethylhexyl)oxy]benzo[1,2-b:4,5-b′]dithiophene-2,6-diyl] [3-fluoro-2-[(2-ethylhexyl)carbonyl]thieno[3,4-b]thiophenediyl]] (PTB7) and [6,6]-phenyl-C71-butyric acid methyl ester (PC71BM). The thickness of the PEI nanolayer is controlled to be 2 nm to minimize its insulating effect, which is confirmed by X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and optical absorption measurements. The Kelvin probe and ultraviolet photoelectron spectroscopy measurements demonstrate that the enhanced PCE by introducing the PEI nanolayer is attributed to the lowered conduction band energy of the ZnO layer via the formation of an interfacial dipole layer at the interfaces between the ZnO layer and the PEI nanolayer. The PEI nanolayer also improves the surface roughness of the ZnO layer so that the device series resistance can be noticeably decreased. As a result, all solar cell parameters including short circuit current density, open circuit voltage, fill factor, and shunt resistance are improved, leading to the PCE increase up to ≈8.9%, which is close to the best PCE reported using conjugated polymer electrolyte films. 8.9% power conversion efficiency is achieved using inverted-type polymer:fullerene solar cells. 2 nm-thick electron-rich poly(ethyleneimine) nanolayers are placed on the ZnO electron-collecting buffer layers and the increased built-in electric field caused by the lowered conduction band energy of ZnO layers enhances performance. © 2014 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
- Wiley-VCH Verlag
- Related Researcher
There are no files associated with this item.
- Convergence Research Center for Solar Energy1. Journal Articles
Intelligent Devices and Systems Research Group1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.