Cited 0 time in
Cited 0 time in
All-in-one low-intensity pulsed ultrasound stimulation system using piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducer (pMUT) arrays for targeted cell stimulation
- All-in-one low-intensity pulsed ultrasound stimulation system using piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducer (pMUT) arrays for targeted cell stimulation
- Lee, Won-Jun; Yoo, Seung-Jun; Jung, Joon-Taek; Kang, Woo-Jin; Wang, Wei; Moon, Cheil; Choi, Hong-Soo
- DGIST Authors
- Moon, Cheil; Choi, Hong-Soo
- Issue Date
- Biomedical Microdevices, 19(4)
- Article Type
- Biocompatibility; Brain-Function; Cell Culture; Cell Proliferation; Cell Stimulation; Cell Stimulation System; Cells; Chondrocytes; Culture Temperature; Differentiation; Electrical-Stimulation; Low-Frequency; Low-Intensity Pulsed Ultrasound; Nerve Growth-Factor; PC12 Cells; Piezoelectric Micromachined Ultrasonic Transducer (PMUT); Piezoelectric Transducers; Piezoelectricity; pMUT; Print Circuit Boards; Printed Circuit Boards; Proliferation; Rat; Resonance Frequencies, Cytology; Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation; Transducers; Ultrasonic Testing; Ultrasonic Transducer; Ultrasonic Transducers, Cell Proliferation Rate; Ultrasound
- A novel cell-stimulation system was fabricated using 10 × 29 piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducer (pMUT) arrays for targeted ultrasonic cell stimulation. Both the diameter of a single pMUT element and the edge-to-edge gap were 120 μm, and the size of a pMUT array was 2.27 × 6.84 mm, to be placed at the bottom of a Transwell. The measured resonance frequency of a single pMUT element was 1.48 ± 0.13 MHz and the measured acoustic intensity of the pMUT array was 0.15 ± 0.03 MPa at 1 mm away from the transducer. A pMUT array was mounted on a print circuit board (PCB), which was designed in accordance with the size of a 12-well Transwell. The Transwell was placed on the PCB and wire bonding was performed to electrically connect the PCB and pMUT arrays. After wiring, the PCB and pMUT arrays were coated with 2.6-μm thick parylene-C to ensure biocompatibility and waterproofing. PC12 cells were used for ultrasonic cell stimulation tests to examine the proposed all-in-one low-intensity pulsed ultrasound stimulation system. Various stimulation times and duty cycles were used simultaneously for cell proliferation in a confined cell culture environment. All stimulation groups showed increased cell proliferation rates, in the range 138–166%, versus the proliferation rate of the control group. © 2017, Springer Science+Business Media, LLC.
- Springer New York LLC
- Related Researcher
Brain convergent science based on chemical senses; olfaction; 감각신경계 기반 뇌융합과학; 후각 신경계
There are no files associated with this item.
- Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesMoon Lab1. Journal Articles
Department of Robotics EngineeringBio-Micro Robotics Lab1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.