Cited 4 time in
Cited 6 time in
Coherent raman imaging of live muscle sarcomeres assisted by SFG microscopy
- Coherent raman imaging of live muscle sarcomeres assisted by SFG microscopy
- Kim, Hyunmin; Kim, Do-Young; Joo, Kyung-Il; Kim, Jung-Hye; Jeong, Soon Moon; Lee, Eun Seong; Hahm, Jeong-Hoon; Kim, Kyuhyung; Moon, Dae Woon
- DGIST Authors
- Kim, Hyunmin; Jeong, Soon Moon; Kim, Kyuhyung; Moon, Dae Woon
- Issue Date
- Scientific Reports, 7(1)
- Article Type
- In this study, we used spectrally focused coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering (spCARS) microscopy assisted by sum-frequency generation (SFG) to monitor the variations in the structural morphology and molecular vibrations of a live muscle of Caenorhabditis elegans. The subunits of the muscle sarcomeres, such as the M-line, myosin, dense body, and α-actinin, were alternatively observed using spCARS microscopy for different sample orientations, with the guidance of a myosin positional marker captured by SFG microscopy. Interestingly enough, the beam polarization dependence of the spCARS contrasts for two parallel subunits (dense body and myosin) showed a ~90° phase difference. The chemically sensitive spCARS spectra induced by the time-varying overlap of two pulses allowed (after a robust subtraction of the non-resonant background using a modified Kramers-Krönig transformation method) high-fidelity detection of various genetically modified muscle sarcomeres tuned to the C-H vibration (2800-3100 cm-1). Conversely, SFG image mapping assisted by phase-retrieved spCARS spectra also facilitated label-free monitoring of the changes in the muscle content of C. elegans that are associated with aging, based on the hypothesis that the C-H vibrational modes could serve as qualitative chemical markers sensitive to the amount and/or structural modulation of the muscle. © 2017 The Author(s).
- Nature Publishing Group
- Related Researcher
The K. Kim Lab of Neurobehavior and Neural Circuits
Neurobehavior; Neural Circuit; Neurodevelopment; 신경회로; 신경행동; 신경발생; 신경유전학
There are no files associated with this item.
- Companion Diagnostics and Medical Technology Research Group1. Journal Articles
Smart Textile Convergence Research Group1. Journal Articles
Department of Brain and Cognitive SciencesThe K. Kim Lab of Neurobehavior and Neural Circuits1. Journal Articles
Department of New BiologyNanoBio Imaging Laboratory1. Journal Articles
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.